In the area of Smida, in the Apuseni Natural Park, there are many hiking trails that be walked on, for the hiking enthusiasts and there are other two-wheel trails, for the mountain-biking lovers.
The tourist trails in the Apuseni Natural Park are grouped around two important main trails that cross the area from north to south, on the main peaks. Here are a few of them:
The Cetatilor Ponorului Circuit
- Marking: Blue point
- Duration: 5 hours (or 4 ore if departing from and returning to the Glavoi Camping)
- Length: 12 km
- Mountain Route:Cabana Padis – Poiana Ponor – Vl. Cetatilor – Dolina I – Portal Cetatile Ponorului – Dolina II (optional) – Dolina III – Balcoane – Vl. Cetatilor – Camping Glavoi – Cabana Padis.
- Route Details: Circuit route that allows you to visit the most spectacular and grand karst complex in the Apuseni Mountains – Cetatile Ponorului. It is a route of high difficulty here and there, prohibited during wintertime. It can also be covered departing from and returning to the Glavoi camping.
The Galbenei Circuit
- Marking: Yellow point
- Duration: 10 h (or 8-9 hours if departing from and returning to the Glavoi Camping)
- Length: 19 km
- Mountain Route: Padis Chalet – Poiana Ponor – Aven Bortig – Izbucul Galbenei – Galbenei Gorges – Poiana Florilor – Focul Viu Glacier – < Piatra Galbenei deviation > – Camping Glavoi –Padis Chalet.
- Route Details: Circuit route for visiting the extremely spectacular karst region of the Galbena Valley springs. It is a long and tiring route, with high difficulty sections, prohibited during wintertime. It can also by covered departing from and returning to the Glavoi camping.
Crossing the Padis Plateau
- Marking: Red Triangle
- Duration: 1 h 20 min
- Length: 5 km
- Mountain Route: Cab. Padis – Poiana Rotunda – Ponor – Pestera Caput – Chei Caput – Poiana Caput.
- Route Details: The role of this route is to connect the two main routes (the Blue Strip and the Red Strip), that cross the Apuseni Natural Park, the Padis Plateau area with the Caput area respectively.
- Nota: the old Red Triangle route between Padis Chalet and Vartop holiday village becomes Red Strip main route.
The Lost World Circuit
- Marking: Yellow Cross
- Duration: 2 h – 2 1/2 h
- Length: 7,5 km
- Mountain Route: Cab. Padis – P-na Rotunda – versantul stang al Paraului Bradetanului – Paraul Ursului – Izvorul Rece – Avenul Gemanata – Avenul Negru – Avenul Acoperit – Avenul Pionierilor.
- Route Details: It is a route for visiting the karst formations of the Lost World plateau. The difficulty is reduced, it is an accessible route even in wintertime, ski touring. It can also be covered departing from and returning to the Glavoi camping, the access to the route entrance is by taking the forest road on the Paraul Sec (Dry Creek), the duration being approximately the same.
Padis – Scarisoara Glacier
- Marking: Blue Triangle
- Duration: 5 h
- Length: 17,5 km
- Mountain Route:Cabana Padis – Sesul Garzii – Valea Gardisoara – P. Gura Apei – P. Sura Popii – Izbucul de la Coliba Ghiobului – Casa de Piatra – <deviatie la Izbucul Tauz> – Valea Garda Seaca – Ghetarul Scarisoara.
- Route Details: Connection route between the Padis area and the Scarisoara area, with the visiting of the karst area at the Casa de Piatra (Stone House) of the gorges on Gardisoara and Garda Seaca. Easy valley route, more than half on a forest road, accessible in wintertime as well, ski touring.
EXISTING MARKED ROUTES THAT HAVE NOT YET BEEN SUBJECT TO HOMOLOGATION
The Rachitele Circuit
- Marking: Blue Point
- Mountain Route: Vl. Stanciului – Faget – Pietrele Albe – Dl. Petrieni – Cab. Vladeasa – Dl. Chicera Orzascilor – Pr. Racad – Vl. Zanoghii – Dosu Racadului – Vl. Cetatii – izv. Pr. Gingineasa – Vf. Tiglau – Cascada Rachitele
- Marking: Blue Triangle
- Duration: 4 1/2 – 5 h
- Length: 13 km
- Mountain Route: Sat Rachitele – Dl. Macrisului – Fata – Vf. Tiglau – Cascada Rachitele – Vl. Stanciului – Sat Rachitele.